8/18/08

The Magic of John Fahey

Woo hoo, another record review/life story/tribute to an idol post. Great. But what the hell, this guy's worth it. And this review may be crap, but who cares?

So who's heard of John Fahey? Anyone? If yes, than just skip to the bottom for free music. If not, please keep reading.

John Fahey was an American acoustic guitarist born in 1939 and went on to spearhead a movement called American Primitivism, which involved country blues fingerpicking used to make avant-garde/neo-classical music. His career started in 1959 with the recording of the album Blind Joe Death, and went on from there until his death until 2001.

I've only heard of John Fahey recently, having discovered his CD Death Chants, Breakdowns, and Military Waltzes (1967) in the basement last month:


I was skeptical when I first heard it because I've never been much of a folk or country blues guy. But slowly, the CD grew on me, as I was slowly hypnotized by the rhythmic pattern of Fahey's strumming and picking. The opening tune, Sunflower River Blues, defined everything to be found on that CD, opening with four seperate chord flourishes before setting into a folksy picking groove. Since Fahey doesn't sing on this record, he lets his picking do all the talking (with the exception of The Downfall of the Adelphi Rolling Grist Mill where he duets with a flautist). It's not perfect, but it is a prime document of American Primitivism.

Fahey's other great CD, and stunning example of both his pick work and some slide work thrown in for good measure, would be The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death (1965):


The CD follows the same pattern and style as Death Chants, Breakdowns, and Military Waltzes, but the production (or MP3) quality sounds better on this one. Fahey contines to amaze on what has to be his best CD. I can't even pick out a best track, since the whole thing meshes together to form one unified CD. Probably his best and my favorite and recommendation. But I'll let you judge for yourselves.

hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/vh6azc (Death Chants)

hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/zd0d0d (Transfiguration)

3 comments:

Thomas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas said...

Good call on Fahey. He is quite the guitarman. One piece of constructive criticism: a collection of songs can't be a "unified CD" any more than great literature can be "great ink." You mean to say album or some approximation thereof. I mean, he couldn't have had a 1967 CD because they weren't invented yet. It's nitpicking but whatever.

I totally would not have come across John Fahey's music on my own so thank you kindly

Sean said...

No no, nitpicking is good and helpful. I was just speaking in terms of my experience. Sadly, my parents don't own Fahey on vinyl, so I made due with the CD.